Dog Walking & Water Safety
Make sure you and your dog are safe when walking near water
- Avoid throwing sticks or balls near water for dogs - they will go after it if they think you want it back even if you've thrown it too far or into dangerous water.
- Never enter the water to try and save a dog - the dog usually manages to scramble out.
- Even dogs that like swimming can usually only swim for short bursts - keep an eye of your dog and don't let it enter the water if it's older or tired.
- If your dog loves the water keep it on a lead and make sure you have control to prevent it jumping into hazardous or unsafe areas.
- Remember the wet riverbanks, steep edges or jagged rocks can make it hard for a dog to scramble out and be a slip risk for owners.
- Don't lean into water and try and lift your dog out - you can topple in.
- Dogs can have cold water shock too.
- If your dog has struggled in the water it may have inhaled water and should see a vet as dogs can drown after the event if water has entered the lungs.