Candles, flying lanterns, decorations and decorative lights are a growing cause of fires. It is important to keep safety in mind whenever you use them in and around your home.
By following the guidelines below, you can help keep your home safe from fire.
- Check your fairy lights are in good working order and replace any bulbs that have blown. Always unplug your lights when you leave the house or when you sleep
- Were possible use a surge protection extension cable and only have one item per plug socket to avoid overloading
- Make sure cables are long enough to reach, as connecting more than one extension lead together can overload the socket and cause an electrical fault
- Keep candles away from anything that could catch fire such as Christmas trees, curtains, cards, ribbons or decorations
- Never leave a burning candle unattended and put them out completely before you leave the room or when you sleep. Take extra care to keep candles out of reach small children or pets
- If using fireworks always following instructions carefully and never go back to a lit firework—even if it has not gone off as it could still explode
- Avois wearing fancy dress costumes or flowing materials/clothing when cooking or when near a naked flame or heat source. They can very easily catch fire
- Plan your escape route in case of a fire. The best escape route is your usual way in and out of your home. Chose a second escape route in case the first one is blocked
- Practice your escape plan with everyone in your household
- If you have guests staying share your escape plan with them
- Make sure everyone staying knows where the door keys are kept
- Keep your escape routes clear
- Keep a charged mobile phone with you in case of emergency