Arson and deliberate fires
Arson is the deliberate setting of a fire and Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is committed to reducing this within our community.
The Service works closely with many key agencies including the Police, anti-social behaviour teams, housing and other local authority departments. These partnerships provide the necessary legislative powers to help the Service to act on the issues that contribute to deliberate fires, for example, the securing of empty properties, removal of fly tipping and addressing the problem of anti-social behaviour.
If you are concerned about arson in your community or if you have been threatened with arson, you can report this confidentially to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Reduce the risk of arson
- Minimise the amount of rubbish that is left in and around buildings
- Only put your wheelie bins out the night before, or morning of the collection and bring them straight back in when emptied. Store them securely away from your property
- Fit a wheelie bin lock to prevent deliberate bin fires
- Fit security lighting
- Ensure that doors and windows are in good repair and that they lock
- Park vehicles in well-lit areas, under street lamps if possible and away from the front of your home
- Contact Humberside Fire and Rescue Service for advice on a Fire Risk Assessment
- Fit a smoke alarm to the ceiling on every level of your home
- Plan and practice an escape plan with everyone in your household so they know what to do in the event of a fire
- Always ensure escape routes are kept clear
Report any concerns in confidence
- Call Crimestoppers FREE on: 0800 555 111
- Or contact us on 0300 303 8242 or complete our online referral, click here